East Bay Residents for Responsible Development (EBRRD), a coalition of four construction-trades unions that represent 500 families in Oakland and 18,000 members in Northern California, has created a petition to stop SunCal from building the Oak Knoll project.
The group states that the Oak Knoll project:
- Is being built without union labor and will not provide family-sustaining wages for construction workers.
- Doesn’t provide apprenticeships for young construction workers.
- Provides no on-site affordable housing.
- Adds 11,000 new car trips daily, increasing traffic congestion.
- Will clear-cut a forest of native oak trees.
- Allows uncontrolled construction emissions to pollute neighborhood air quality.
EBRRD feels that because the Oak Knoll project is the second largest development ever proposed in Oakland, the project needs to provide a benefit to the community.
Once EBRRD has collected enough signatures, it will deliver the petition to the Oakland City Council.